The Throat chakra is the fifth chakra. Located at the centre of the neck at the level of the throat, it is the passage of the energy between the lower parts of the body and the head. The function of the Throat chakra is driven by the principle of expression and communication.
The most common Sanskrit name for the Throat chakra is “Vishudda”, which means “pure” or “purification”.
The Throat chakra is about the expression of yourself: Your truth, purpose in life, creativity. Note that this chakra has a natural connection with the second chakra or sacral chakra, centre of emotions and creativity as well. The throat chakra’s emphasis is on expressing and projecting the creativity into the world according to its perfect form or authenticity.
Another function of the throat chakra is to connect you to spirit. Because of its location, it’s often seen as the “bottleneck” of the movement of energy in the body. It sits just before the upper chakras of the head. Opening the throat chakra can greatly help align your vision with reality and release pressure that may affect the heart chakra that is located just below.
When your Heart Chakra is blocked, you experience:
- Lack of control over one’s speech; speaking too much or inappropriately;
- Not being able to listen to others
- Excessive fear of speaking
- Small, imperceptible voice
- Not being able to keep secrets, to keep your word
- Telling lies
- On the opposite side, a closed throat chakra might manifest as excessive secretiveness or shyness
- Lack of connection with a vocation or purpose in life
When your Throat Chakra is balanced, you experience:
- Expression, in particular ability to express your truth, to speak out
- Communication, whether it’s verbal or non-verbal, external or internal
- Connection with the etheric realm, the more subtle realms of spirit and intuitive abilities
- Propensity to create, projecting ideas and blueprints into reality
- Realizing your vocation, purpose
- Good sense of timing
Some crystals that are helpful in activating and balancing the throat chakra include: Lapis Lazuli, Blue Lace Agate, Aquamarine, Amazonite and Kyanite.
The throat chakra is related to the element of sound. Through the throat, sound is propagated into the air and its vibration can be felt not just in our ears, but also in our whole body. Some activities you can do to open your throat chakra include saying positive affirmations, writing in a journal, throat chakra yoga postures, and singing.
Consuming deep blue fruits and vegetables is also an effective way to activate and balance the throat chakra. Eat blue foods like eggplant, blueberries, blackberries, plums and purple cabbage.
To shop all things Throat Chakra, check out these LLJ products: